|RI Hawks 16s are 13-3 in Live-July & 42-8 in 2011|
RI Hawks Making Statement in Florida
- After an outstanding Spring Season in which they won Championships at tournaments such as the Gym Ratz Challenge in Albany, the Middlesex Magic First-Shot, and the Hoop Mountain Invitational,the RI Hawks 16s came into the summer looking to bring their success to the National Level. They took care of business during the first portion of the Live-Period with a strong showing at the Basketbull HOFNI before heading down to Orlando last week to compete in the 16u AAU Super Showcase and also the 16u AAU Nationals. Let's take a game by game look at how they have fared down at Disney thus far.
16u AAU Super Showcase - Pool Play Game One
- In their first game down in Orlando, the Hawks faced the Old Gold Dream Team out of Chicago, who gave the Rhode Island boys a good battle n the first-half as the game went to the break knotted at 24. The 3rd Quarter was a different story as the Hawks outscored Old-Gold by a score of 18-3 behind 8 points and 2 treys from Charles Correa, ending the period with a 43-27 lead. Old-Gold came back to battle the Hawk's in the 4th, but the damage had been done and the game ended with a 50-40 Hawk's victory. Correa, who hails from Pawtucket and attends St. Raphael's Academy, finished the game with 10 points while Worcester Academy's Tom Rivard led the scoring for the Hawks with 12.
16u AAU Super Showcase - Pool Play Game Two
- Ben Engvall of Barrington High School led a balanced scoring attack with 13 as the Hawks defeated the Jacksonville Netes by a score of 70-56.
- In the third pool play game,.the Hawks faced off against a very tough Carolina Ravens team and lost by a score of 64-53. Charles Correa weighed in for 16 points in the defeat.
16u AAU Super Showcase - Pool Play Game Three
16u AAU Super Showcase - Pool Play Game Three
2-1 record puts Hawks in Silver Bracket
16u AAU Super Showcase - Silver Bracket 1st Rd
- After dropping a tough game to one Ravens team in the final game of pool play, the RI Hawks faced yet another Ravens squad in the 1st Round of Silver Bracket, this one from Columbia, Maryland. Apparently, there was no relation between the Ravens from Carolina and Maryland, because the Hawks absolutely steam-rolled the Maryland outfit by a score of 88-52. They were led by a balanced scoring attack which placed five players in double figures. Colin Pascoe from Suffield Academy led the charge with 20. Ben Engvall put up 16. Charles Correa dropped 14. Henry Bolton of Portsmouth and St. Andrews chipped in with 13, and Max Motroni of West Warwick and Milton Academy had a dozen.
16u AAU Super Showcase - Silver Bracket 2nd Rd
- Heading into Rd 2, the RI Hawks were expecting to face Team Melo and Mr Youtube himself...2013 PG Aquille Carr. But the matchup never materialized as another Baltimore squad took out Team Melo in a 1st Rd upset. The Baltimore Wildcats are a ballclub well-known to Jay Elliot and his Hawks as the Wildcats defeated the Hawks by 7 last year at Rumble in the Bronx. It was expected that this one would be a grueling duel, but the Hawks weren't in the mood apparently. From the tip, the Wildcats had a heck of time trying to score the ball against a stifling Hawk's defense and the Hawks attacked the vaunted Wildcat's full-court press to get easy buckets throughout the 1st half and take a 28-14 into the break. In the 2nd half, the Hawks again outplayed the Wildcats to take home a 59-41 victory. For the Hawks, Harrison Taggart from St. Pauls led the scoring with 15, while Charles Correa had 13 and Thomas Rivard put in 10.
16u AAU Super Showcase - Silver Bracket Quarters
- In the quarterfinals, the RI Hawks went up against a tough ball-club in Shining Star out of Cincinatti, who led the Hawks most of the game, but a furious run by the Hawks in the final few minutes tied the game at 67 and it looked as if they might have Shining Star on the ropes. But Demarion Geter came to the rescue for the WKRP boys and knocked down a jump-shot with 3.8 seconds left to give his club a 69-67 win. Charles Correa was terrific in this one, drilling 5 trey balls and registering 22 points. Also in double-figures for the Hawks were Henry Bolton with 14, Colin Pascoe with 11, and Max Motroni with 10. For the Hawks, the defeat marked the end of a strong 4-2 performance at the 16u Showcase, quite an impressive showing on a national level for Jay Elliot's ever-blossoming program.
16u AAU Nationals
- Following the Showcase, the RI Hawks 2013 remained in Orlando looking to stay hot as the 16u AAU Nationals got underway, and stay hot they have, rolling to a 3-0 record in Pool V to advance to the Championship Bracket. In their first game, the Hawks took down the Missouri Running Rebels in a low scoring affair, 37-30. In Game 2, the Hawks got by the South Bay City Ballers out of Florida by a score of 47-42. Game 3 wasn't as close, as the Hawks steamrolled Alabama Select 69-33 win win Pool V and advance on for a opportunity to make a Championship Bracket Run.
- The RI Hawks will get going in Bracket-Play at 6:40 this evening and will match-up in the 1st Rd against a very talented squad in Nike Team Florida. Stay tuned for results and good luck to the Hawks.